Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Assignment

We were assigned to our host villages and our languages the other day. I was one of six assigned to learn Chitumbuka. Not sure if that’s a blessing or a curse, or even how that decision was made, but it’s done. Tumbuka means my site will be in Northern Malawi, where the Tumbuka tribe is prominent. I was somewhat disappointed about the selection because I had already invested so much into learning Chichewa. Also, the national language of Malawi is Chichewa, it is taught in all the schools, so we technically will have to know 2 languages, while the others can become expert in Chewa. The two are somewhat similar but still quite different. We have about 8 weeks until our LPI examination in each language, it’s a time a crunch with all the other trainings. Crossing my fingers.
As for the host villages, we were separated into two groups, one sent to Chikanda and the other to Mzengereza. We will live in these villages for about seven weeks with a local host family. I was sent to Mzengereza, which literally translates to “dily daly,” and my host family’s name is Chongo. Today was our last day at the college, the first day we are sent sailing out of the bubble of comfort. After breakfast we packed our things and went to Dedza boma to buy necessities, like toiletries and cookies (or as we like to refer to them: “coping mechanism”).
The ride into our villages was one of the most nerve racking experiences of my life. As we loaded the cruisers with bags and cases and took our seats, a cloud of fear and anxiety settled over us. And it only got heavier. On the way to Mzengereza, we got to see more of Malawi and it was beautiful, indescribable. Initially, I was feeling fine, perhaps a few butterflies fluttering in my stomach. I was cracking immature jokes with Flamboyant and making fun of IT, who was crying and on the verge of puking out everything in her stomach (nerves and bumpy road). The ride was shaky, as there are no paved roads, and Franklin was grabbing onto whatever she could. Slowly, as the mud path got worse, as we got farther away from people and closer to miles of empty fields and forests, as we got closer to Mzengereza, it hit me – like a brick wall.
The butterflies turned into dragons, my face grew numb (literally could not feel anything touching my face) and my mind began to panic. It screamed: what the hell are you doing? What did you sign up for? You left a comfortable life to live in the middle of nowhere Africa, to live with a family you don’t know, with no way to communicate with the outside world! To top it all off, so far from family and friends. Franklin had to calm me down and worrying about IT puking provided a good distraction.
Luckily, we arrived vomit-free, driving into an open field full of villagers clapping and cheering and a line of empty chairs for us. Beatrice, Helen, Lovemore, and Charity were also there waiting. The cruisers stopped, we were overwhelmed, and as I was getting out I banged my head on the top of the car frame. Once we all sat down to a crowd of stares, the Afumu (Village Chief) spoke, followed by the Agroupo (Senior Group Chief), both welcoming us to the village, told us to treat this as our home. Then, the host families were called out, followed by the assigned volunteer, one pair at a time.
Everyone was called up except me and Flamboyant. We were just sitting there awkwardly. Our families didn’t show up. Well Flamboyant’s did, very late, but mine never came. Great start. Not that I’m nervous enough already. Another woman in the village had to walk me to the family compound. All in all an interesting experience, and I look forward to more such interesting experiences in homestay. Mmm chimanga, mpatatas, nkuku, mandazis and other new foods…

No comments:

Post a Comment